The IBM (International Business Machines Corporation) is an American multinational company providing services in technology and consulting operations. IBM has its headquarters in New York, United States. IBM manufactures computer hardwares and software along with providing infrastructure, hosting and consulting services in various areas ranging from mainframe computers to nanotechnology. IBM runs its operations in almost 170 countries. IBM incorporated as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (CTR) in 1911 and was renamed "International Business Machines" in 1924.
Complete Test Series for Wipro
Bag your Dream Job Today
Comprehensive Online Tests
Inclusive Prep for All Placement Exams
Acquire Essential Domain Skills
IBM mainly works in areas including cloud computing, cognitive computing, commerce, data and analytics, Internet of Things (IoT), IT infrastructure, mobile, and security. IBM invented a lot of things which includes ATM, the SQL programming language, the floppy disks, the magnetic stripe card, the hard disk drive, the relational database, the UPC barcode, and dynamic random-access memory (DRAM). IBM also provides Cloud Data Encryption Services (ICDES), using cryptographic splitting to secure customer data. IBM also owns The Weather Company, which provides weather forecasting and includes weather.com and Weather Underground.
- IBM is also nicknamed as Big Blue making its place in one of the 30 companies included in the Dow Jones Industrial Average and one of the world's largest employers, with more than 380,000 employees.'
- IBM employees also known as IBMers have been awarded five Nobel Prizes, ten National Medals of Technology, six Turing Awards and five National Medals of Science.
- IBM led Initiative Smarter Planet is an initiative that seeks to achieve economic growth, sustainable development, societal progress, near-term efficiency, and targeting opportunities such as smart grids, water management systems, solutions to traffic congestion and greener buildings.
- IBM has one of the largest no. of employees in the world named as 'IBMers'.
- IBM also hosts the industry-wide cloud computing and mobile technologies conference InterConnect each year.
- IBM became the first organisation to provide group life insurance, training for women, survivor benefits, paid vacations, and training for disabled people.'
- IBM provides same-sex partners of its employees with health benefits and an anti-discrimination clause.'
- IBM in 2005,became the 1st major company in the world to commit formally to not use genetic information in employment decisions.
- IBM organizes a program known as Extreme Blue, for its interns, that partner with top businesses and technical students to develop high-value technology'
- 'The company also has various designations for exceptional individual contributors such as Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM), Research Staff Member (RSM), Distinguished Engineer (DE), and Distinguished Designer (DD).'
- 'Each year, the company also selects 1,000 IBMers annually to award the Best of IBM Award, which includes an all-expenses paid trip to the awards ceremony in an exotic location.
- 'In 2015, IBM started giving employees the option of choosing either a PC or a Mac as their primary work device, resulting in IBM becoming the world's largest Mac shop. In 2016, IBM eliminated forced rankings and changed its annual performance review system to focus more on frequent feedback, coaching, and skills development.
- 'For more information, visit at'https://careers.ibm.com/
Complete Campus Placement Training Course
E-Books & Assignments