State Bank of India is an Indian multinational, Public Sector banking and financial services company. It is a government-owned corporation with its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra. As of December 2013, it had assets of US$388 billion and 17,000 branches, including 190 foreign offices, making it the largest banking and financial services company in India by assets. State Bank of India is one of the Big Four banks of India, along with Bank of Baroda, Punjab National Bank and ICICI Bank. The bank traces its ancestry to British India, through the Imperial Bank of India, to the founding, in 1806, of the Bank of Calcutta, making it the oldest commercial bank in the Indian Subcontinent. Bank of Madras merged into the other two "presidency banks" in British India, Bank of Calcutta and Bank of Bombay, to form the Imperial Bank of India, which in turn became the State Bank of India. Government of India owned the Imperial Bank of India in 1955, with Reserve Bank of India (India's Central Bank) taking a 60% stake, and renamed it the State Bank of India. In 2008, the government took over the stake held by the Reserve Bank of India. State Bank of India is a regional banking behemoth and has 20% market share in deposits and loans among Indian commercial banks.
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Arundhati Bhattacharya (Chairperson)
- The big circular form of the emblem suggests unity and completeness. The small circle in the center connotes that despite the bank’s size, it is the small man who holds the center of the bank.
Total Number of Employees
- “Best Executive” Award to the Chairman by Asia Money.State Bank of India also improved its ranking in “Fortune” 500 Global List,“Forbes”list of 2000 largest companies in the world, “Banker” list of top 1000 world banks, Brand Finance – Global 500 Financial Brand re cognition,to name a few. “Most Admired Infrastructure Financier” Award by KPMG,“Top Public Sector Bank under SME Financing” by Dun and Bradstreet.
- The Bank was voted, for the third year in a row, as the “Most Preferred Housing Loan” and “Most Preferred Bank” in the CNBC AWAAZ Consumer Awards in a survey conducted by CNBC TV18 in associa tion with AG Nielsen & Company.The Bank was also awarded the “Best Home Loan Provider” as well as “The Best Bank” – by Outlook Money Awards, 2008.
- State Bank of India wins 2 awards for Best Rural Banking Initia tive and Best IT Archite cture
- State Bank of India Voted THE BEST BANK in Cash Management Services in local currency by AsiaMoney.
- The Bank was conferred the following Na tional awards by the Government of India (GOI), Ministry o f Micro Small and Medium Enterprise s for the FY 2007-08: (i) First under "National Awards for excellence in lending to Micro Enterprises". (ii)Se cond under "National Awards for Excellence in MSE Lending". (iii) The Bank was also presented an award for outstanding performance in the area o f finance to SMEs by Dun & Bradstreet.
- The Bank was awarded Reader’s Dige st “Pegasus Corporate Social Responsibility Award 2007” in re cognition of its contribution towards Rural Community Development.
- SBI has been ra ted as the Best Public Sector Bank for Rural Reach by Dun & Bradstree t. The Bank has won awards for topping SHG-Bank Credit linkage in O rissa ,Jharkhand, Maharashtra , Uttarakhand, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.