Hewlett- Packard was started in a one-car garage in Palo Alto (in 1939) by two Electrical Engineering Graduates from Stanford University. Its founders Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard started the company with an initial investment of US$538, with their first financially successful product being a precision audio oscillator (HP200A) which they sold for a far lesser value than their competitors
Complete Test Series for Hewlett Packard
Bag your Dream Job Today
Comprehensive Online Tests
Extensive Bank of 250+ Questions
Acquire Essential Domain Skills
During World War 2 Dave was exempted from the draft and was developing counter-radar technology and artillery shell fuses while Bill was drafted
It was ranked no. 9 in the Fortune 500 ranking in 2009. HP ranked no. 1 on the 2009 Green Rankings of America’s 500 largest corporations.
- Palo Alto, California, United States.
- President and Chief Executive (CEO) – Dion Weisler
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO) - Cathie Lesjak
- H and P are the First letters of Hewlett and Packard respectively, the founders of the company. To decide whether the name of the company was to be Packard-Hewlett or Hewlett-Packard, they tossed a coin and as can be seen from the name, Bill won the toss.
Number of employees
- HP ranked 96th over 4,000 list companies in Corporate Knights 2016
- In 2015, HP was named as “Green Company of the Year” for its supply chain, products and its recycle programs.
- HP was awarded with Impact award 2013 by the Entrepreneurs Foundation of Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
- Fortune magazine named HP one of the World's Most Admired Companies in 2010, placing it No. 2 in the computer industry and No. 32 overall in its list of the top 50.
- In 2014 HP was ranked No. 1 in social responsibility, long-term investment, global competitiveness, and use of corporate assets.