Coal India Limited (CIL), founded in November 1975, is an Indian coal mining corporation. It is owned by the Government of India. Coal India is the single largest coal producer in the world. It is a Maharatna company, with the status bestowed upon it by the Union Government of India in April 2011. CIL accounts for about 81% of the total coal production in India. It is India’s 5th most valuable company in terms of market revenue. The mission of CIL is to produce and market the planned quantity of coal and coal products efficiently and economically in an eco-friendly manner with due regard to safety, conservation and quality. Its slogan is — “We Survive if Nature Lives”.
- Kolkata, West Bengal, India
- Chairman and Managing Director (MD) — Sutirtha Bhattacharya
- The company’s logo has three slogans around its symbol.These are — Empowering India, Nurturing Nature, Enabling Life. These slogans signify the core values and the mission of the corporation.
Total Number of Employees
- CIL bagged the Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Sheild in 2014. The prize was awarded for the best implementation of the Official Language Policy of the Union among PSUs.
- Coal India was honoured with two Corporate Social Responsibility Awards on 18 February 2013 - the World CSR Day. The awards were — ‘Global CSR Excellence and Leadership Award' for Best Corporate Social Responsibility Practices and 'Blue Dart Most Caring Companies of India Award’.
- Honoured with the 'Best Geospatial Application in an Enterprise' Award in January, 2013 by Geospatial Media and Communications Pvt. Ltd. The award was given for CIL’s innovative and successful implementation of geospatial technologies in exploration and mining techniques which helped in managing and streamlining the usage of natural resources.
Coal India Preparations Links