SAIL (Steel Authority of India Limited) is one of the largest Steel manufacturers in the world and the largest in India competing with TATA Steel, Essar Steel Ltd., JSW Steel. It is one of the leading Public Sector Unit in India. It was incorporated on 24th January 1973 to manage five integrated steel plants at Bhilai, Bokaro, Durgapur, Rourkela and Burnpur, the Alloy Steel Plant and the Salem Steel Plant. The voting control of the company is retained by the Government of India and also 86% of SAIL’s equity. It had an annual turnover of US $ 6.4 billion (2015-2016). It is the public sector industry and is operated by Government of India.
- Chairman - Mr. Prakash Kumar Singh
- The logo stands for 'splendid achievement'.
- US $ 7.5 billion (2014-2015)
Total Number of Employees
- more than 85,145 employees ( as of October 01,2016)
- In 2016, SAIL has won Golden Peacock Award for excellence performance in corporate governance.
- SAIL was featured in the 2008 list of Forbes Global 2000 companies at position 647.
- The industry got National Award for Excellence in Cost Management in 2014.
- In 2014, four Prime Minister’s Shram Award was won by SAIL
- Best of all" Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Award in 1993, 2006, and 2007 for their Bhilai and Bokaro plants
- The HR Excellence Award by the Greentech Foundation won by Bhilai Steel Plant – 2010