Founded in 1998, VMware Inc. is a leading software provider of virtualization and cloud computing services. It is one of the pioneers in the field of virtualization technologies. The company is headquartered in the United States and has offices at 40 locations across the world. In India, VMware has offices in Bengaluru, Chennai and Pune.
In 2008, VMware entered into partnership with Cisco Systems for better cloud infrastructure solutions. From the year 2016, Dell EMC holds majority share in VMware, Inc. Also, in collaboration with Amazon Web Services, VMware offers advanced cloud services. Today, the firm owns more than 10 subsidiaries including Pivotal Software, AirWatch, Bitfusion, Heptio, etc.
As per Glassdoor’s 2017 survey, VMware secured 3rd rank in the list of ‘highest paying companies in the United States’. Currently, VMware provides services to 500,000+ customers across the globe.
- Palo Alto, California, U.S.
- Michael Dell - Chairman
- Patrick P. Gelsinger - CEO
- VMware uses logo consisting of company’s name with the first two letters in bold. The ‘VM’ part denotes ‘virtual machine’ and the part ‘ware is derived from the word ‘software’. The style and font of letters signify consistency and strength of the brand. The three continuous rounds in logo represent the three types of virtual machines that VMware’s desktop software runs simultaneously. Since its inception, the logo has been altered twice.
Number of Employees:
- Won ‘Innovation Award: Vendor’ at World Communication Awards 2016, sponsored by Total Telecom magazine.
- Won ‘Best of Show’ Award at Tokyo Interop Event 2016; for demonstration of fastest and simplest cloud-based deployment.
- Listed in Fortune's ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ in 2016.
- Recognized in CRN ‘Products of the Year’ Awards 2018.
- Received ‘SDN/NFV World Congress Network Transformation Award’ for Best NFV Ecosystem 2018.
- Achieved Carbon Neutrality in 2018, two years ahead of set target (2020).
- Named the leader in ‘Hybrid Cloud Software Solutions’ and ‘Cloud & Virtualization Security’ at CIO Choice Awards 2019.