Amazon.com Inc. is an American e-commerce company which also holds the title of being the largest Internet based retailer in United States. Amazon started originally as an online bookstore but diversified its approach by selling electronics products, software’s, video games, mobile phones later and the recent offerings being premium video streaming and cloud computing services.
Amazon has retail websites in more than 20 countries and has a large number of subsidiaries such as Zappos, Goodreads, Diapers.com, Kiva Systems, Goodreads, Teachstreet, and IMDb.
Amazon India, the Indian division of Amazon.com has software development centers in Hyderabad, Chennai and Bengaluru was launched in 2013 with an initial investment of $ 2 billion to counter the increasing prominence of its largest rival, Flipkart in India after it announced receiving $ 1 billion dollars through investment funding.
- Jeff Bezos - Chairman, President and CEO
- Originally named “Cadabra.com” ,the name was changed later to “Amazon.com” symbolic to the exotic Amazon river, the “Biggest” River in the world. The “Amazon” logo represents that the e-commerce website sells everything from A to Z as pointed by the arrow which a represents a customer’s smile for having the “Amazon” experience.
- US $ 107 Billion (FY 2015)
Number of Employees:
- Received the “Retailer of the Year” award by National Retail Federation (NRF).
- Amazon edges past Apple and wins the Brand Excellence Award, 2014
- Amazon Prime service drama “Transparent” bags Golden Globe Awards (Best TV Series –Musical or Comedy) .
- Amazon CEO wins Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year Award, 2012