Flipkart Private Limited is an Indian e-commerce company established in 2007. It started with a primary focus on online book sales and soon, expanded to lifestyle products, electronics, home essentials and groceries. Today, Flipkart is the biggest online Indian marketplace competing with the world leader Amazon.
Since 2010, the company has made a number of acquisitions including Letsbuy, Myntra, Jabong, eBay India, etc. In addition to its main office in Bengaluru, Flipkart has branch offices at Delhi and Mumbai. Apart from India, the firm is registered in Singapore. In 2018, the US-based retail chain Walmart acquired majority stake in Flipkart.
Recently, Flipkart has opened its R&D centre at Israel. This is in line with its latest acquisition of Israeli start-up Upstream Commerce. The centre is run by talented engineers from across the world.
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
- Kalyan Krishnamurthy – CEO
- Sachin Bansal & Binny Bansal – Founders
- Flipkart uses a single alphabet ‘f’ in blue color on a yellow colored shopping bag. The alphabet ‘f’ is accompanied by speed lines. It is meant to denote positive and quick service. The chosen colors signify imaginativeness, liveliness and inclusivity. The name ‘Flipkart’ itself means 'Flipping things into kart'. Till now, the company has modified its logo 5-6 times.
- US $6.1 billion (FY 2019)
Number of Employees:
- In 2014, Flipkart became the first Indian online retailer to achieve $1.9 billion GMV (Gross Merchandise Value).
- Co-founder Sachin Bansal was named ‘Entrepreneur of the Year 2012–2013’ by The Economic Times.
- Flipkart’s app became the first Indian mobile app to cross 50 million users in 2016.
- In 2016, the founders, Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal were named “Asian of the Year” by Straits Times of Singapore.