GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a national level exam for admission in Post Graduate programs in the field of science and technology. GATE is also tests your understanding of the basics of Engineering. GATE is jointly conducted by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Madras, IIT Kharagpur , IIT Kanpur, IIT Roorkee, IIT Delhi and Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore .
Important things to know about GATE 2018:
- GATE 2018 is conducted by IIT Guwahati
- It is an Online Computer Based Test, and is conducted for 23 different subjects
- A candidate can appear in any one of the 23 papers
- The examination will be held during the morning and afternoon sessions.
- A candidate has to register online at GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS)
Important Dates for GATE 2018:
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens||01st September 2017||Friday|
|Last Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website)||05th October 2017||Thursday|
|Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination|
City (an additional fee will be applicable)
|17th November 2017||Friday|
|Admit Card will be available in the Online Application Portal(for printing)||05th January 2018||Friday|
|GATE 2018 Examination|
Forenoon: 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon
Afternoon: 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM
|03rd February 2018|
04th February 2018
10th February 2018
11th February 2018
|Announcement of the Results in the Online|
|17th March 2018||Saturday|
Candidates can appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of their qualifying degree. A candidate must know about the paper code of their choice and is permitted to appear in ONLY ONE of the 23 papers of GATE 2018 as listed below:
List of GATE 2018 Papers:
|Aerospace Engineering||Instrumentation Engineering|
|Architecture and Planning||Mechanical Engineering|
|Civil Engineering||Metallurgical Engineering|
|Chemical Engineering||Petroleum Engineering|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||Physics|
|Chemistry||Production and Industrial Engineering|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science|
|Electrical Engineering||Engineering Sciences *|
|Ecology and Evolution||Life Sciences*|
|Geology and Geophysics|| |
|Engineering Science||Life Science|
|Any two optional sections|
|Polymer Science and Engineering||Food Technology|
|Food Technology|| |
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Science|| |
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern:
GATE is an online Computer Based Test (CBT) and the type of questions is divided into two parts:
- Multiple Choice Type Questions (MCQ)
- Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT)
There are total 65 questions of maximum 100 marks. The division of these questions is as follows:
|Sections||No. of Questions|
- General Aptitude (common section for all tests) contains questions from areas of verbal ability and numerical ability.
- Technical section consists of questions related to specific domains of engineering.
- The total time allotted for the exam is 3 hours (180 minutes).
- GATE consists of maximum 100 marks, with 85 marks featuring from the Technical section and 15 marks from the General Aptitude section.
- There is negative marking in the exam. In multiple choice type questions, for every wrong answer, 1/3 marks are deducted for 1 mark question and 2/3 marks for 2 mark question. Unlike MCQs, numerical answer-type questions do not have negative marking.
- Calculators, charts, graphs, and mathematical tables are not allowed in the examination, but an online virtual calculator is available in the exam.
For more information, you can visit the official website: http://www.gate.iitg.ac.in/