“Never Compromise and make no Comparison, when it comes to your success”.
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is an entrance test for most management & related courses in the US, Europe, Canada, Australia etc. Most executive MBA programs in premier institutes in India also require GMAT score. It is the most sought after and trusted test taken by more than 6,000 business and management programs worldwide.
One of the most attractive career options for you is to pursue your career in management. A number of students in the country pursue their degree in business and other management related programs from foreign shores. Such education has multiple advantages. In terms of destinations, USA is most preferred destination for Indian students. Countries like Australia, UK, France, Canada, New Zealand etc. also figure permanently on the radar of students. Master of Business Administration is a stepping stone for candidates to enter the corporate world at management and leadership levels and give their career advancement and professional growth.
To do an MBA degree from a good college abroad, you must take GMAT test. However in some countries admission can take place on the basis of IELTS test score. Most of the good colleges abroad demand at least 2 years of work experience after graduation. For GMAT, a score of 760+ is considered as excellent and between 650 & 750 is considered as a very good score.
One year full time Executive MBA programs are gaining high popularity among working professionals in India. MBA has gained popularity in the recent past and has become an initial step to acquire a lucrative job. Though Indian School of Business was first to start the executive MBA program in India, today most of the top notch and other prestigious B-Schools offer these programs. In India most of the executive programs require minimum 2 to 5 years of work experience after graduation. Typically the course duration is 12-15 months. The fee for most of these programs ranges from 10 to 20 Lakhs for the entire course. Most of the B- schools which run Executive MBA Programs in India consider GMAT score along with some other factors such as quality & nature of work experience, past academic & extracurricular performance, quality of Application Essays etc for short listing a candidate.
GMAT Exam details
GMAT evaluates your basic verbal ability, critical reasoning, mathematical and analytical writing skills that you have developed over a long period of time.
GMAT Test Format:
Given below is the pattern of the exam that will give you in your preparation:
The total time allotted for the exam is 3 hours 30 minutes.
Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA):
This section checks the writing ability of a candidate. The total time allotted for this section is 30 minutes to compose an essay which analyzes the argument. Following are some basic points which one should be kept in mind while preparing for this section.
- A detailed analysis and assessment of the given argument.
- Detect the reason behind the argument and write-up for the same.
- Work out an orderly way to deal with to present your answer.
- Your answer must contain appropriate examples as well as explanation.
The score for this section is on the two independent ratings are given and then considered the average rating. Automated essay -scoring engine is done one of the scores. An expert reader will provide a third rating to your essay which will consider as a final score, if the difference between previous two ratings is more than one point.
It is a 37-question section which is subdivided into two main sections that are Data Sufficiency (15 Questions) and Problem Solving (22 Questions). The total time allotted for this section is 75 minutes. This section evaluates your mathematical skills such as algebra, arithmetic, geometry, and also data interpretation with some standard problem solving statements.
This 30-minutes section checks the ability to read and examine the charts, graphs, and other ways of data representation. This section contains 12 questions based on the information. Integrated Reasoning is divided into four basic parts which includes table analysis, graphics interpretation, two part analysis, and multi source reasoning.
In this section, the candidate has to solve 41 questions in 75 minutes. It is divided into mainly three categories: Reading Comprehension (14 questions), Critical Reasoning (12 questions), and Sentence Correction (14 questions). In the reading comprehension section, you have to answer related to written passages based on different subjects. Critical Reasoning section evaluates the knowledge based on logical arguments. The section of Sentence Correction (15 questions) is based on to detect the errors and write it in a correct manner.
The total score is based on the Verbal Ability and Quantitative Ability scores, the remaining two section’s scores do not affect the total scores.
The GMAT total scores range from 200 to 800. The sectional-wise divisions are as follows:
- Analytical Assessment Writing rating extends from 0 to 6.
- Verbal Ability and Quantitative Ability scores range from 0 to 60.
- Integrated Reasoning rating on the scale of 1 to 8.
Some of the questions in Quantitative and Verbal sections may be experimental in nature. Such questions are not counted for score reporting. However a candidate does not get to know the nature of the questions while attempting GMAT exam. You can get a combined score of Verbal & Quant section out of 800.
Some important pointers that you should keep in mind before attempting GMAT are:
- GMAT is in online format and requires familiarity with the computer operating. It is a Computer Adaptive Test. Where Integrated Reasoning, Verbal Ability and Quantitative Ability are multiple Answer Choice type Questions, the Analytical Writing Assessment is a writing ability test.
- In an Adaptive Test the questions appear in a graded order of difficulty. This means that the exam start with a question which has a medium level of difficulty. The next question's level of difficulty depends upon the previous question's right/wrong response status. In Computer Adaptive Test one cannot skip/leave question unanswered or go back to previous question.
- The validity of GMAT scores is 5 years. However in India some institutes limit the validity of GMAT to 1-2 years. If you have taken any test more than once, then most of the universities consider the recent score.
- Score is made available immediately on completion of the test excluding the score of essays. You can book the slots any time during the year. Also, these tests can be cancelled/retaken/rescheduled.
- You have a wide choice of test centers like Ahmadabad, Allahabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Trivandrum. Once booked, test can also be rescheduled by paying nominal charges.
To update yourself and get more information, log on to: www.gmat.com