Akamai Technologies, founded in Aug.1998, is a leading cloud services provider. Its content delivery network is one of the largest in the world and is responsible for serving 15 to 30 percent of all web traffic. Its cloud services help businesses supply safe, high-performing user experiences on any device, anywhere. It was founded by David M. Lewin and Tom Leighton, in conjunction with Jonathan Seelig, Preetish Nijhawan and Randall Kaplan. Its customers have included distinguished corporations such as Facebook, Twitter, Bing, NASA, etc. It helps corporations speed up innovation in the virtual world by taking away the complications of technology so that they can concentrate on driving business forward.
- 8 Cambridge Center Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142 ,USA.
- Chairman — George H. Conrade
- Co-Founder, Chief Scientist, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) — Tom Leighton
- ‘Akamai’ is a Hawaiian word which means “intelligent” or “witty”.
- US$ 1,577.922 million (2013)
Number of Employees:
- WorkplaceDynamics recognized Akamai as a Top 150 national workplace in the largest survey of its kind.
- Akamai ranked 14th among the area’s largest employer by The Boston Globe. It was the highest ranking software company in the category.
- MIT Tech Review named Akamai as one of the world’s “Most Innovative Companies”.
- Akamai’s Chief Security Architect, Andy Ellis, awarded the 2011 Compass Award for security leadership from the editors of CSO magazine.
- Paul Sagan, former Akamai CEO, named the “2010 CEO Of The Year” by Mass TLC.
- Former Akamai CEO, Paul Sagan, recognized as the Entrepreneur Of The Year 2009 national winner by Ernst & Young.
- Akamai Co-Founder, Tom Leighton, presented with an award for “Outstanding Contribution to the Growth and Success of Mobile Health” at the 2010 Mobile Health Expo.